Biggest Takeaways You Don’t Want to Miss:
- When you’re looking into creating a course—and this is especially true when you’re just starting out—you’ve got a TON of information to choose from. Maybe you’ve been working on this material for 5 or 10 years, or you’ve been consulting a while and you have a ton of stories, examples and exercises.
- Getting all of that out of your head can be difficult, to say the least. Whenever I sit down to create a new course (like I’m doing right now) it can be both exciting, and excruciating.
- Which is why I wanted to bring on Gina Onativia, a content and course expert who is in the trenches every day with her clients, building their courses. Gina has a super practical post-it exercise she’s created to help her clients figure out some pre-details before diving into course creation. I think of her process as kind of like a “prelude” to my own...and I think you’ll find it extremely helpful in your own course creation process.
By the way, if you’re NOT in the midst of creating a course, you can also use this exercise for any type of content creation. AND I want to make sure you download the freebie—which has the exact steps we are going to talk about in this episode. In the freebie, you’ll see a real post-it exercise from one of Gina’s clients that you can use as an example to guide your own process (and I LOVE great examples!). (9:01)
With your freebie at the ready, get ready to dive into your course creation here.
This episode is brought to you by:
In my free masterclass: How to Confidently Create Your First Online Course in 60 Days, I will walk you through all of the pieces it takes to create a stellar online course. Save your spot here!
Check out these highlights:
- The first area course creators get tripped up when starting out. [8:42]
- How to start your post-it exercise. (If you’re an office supply junkie like me, get excited!) [9:31]
- Why it’s so important to know what your avatar is feeling. [13:59]
- How to brainstorm your overarching steps. [14:50]
- What to do if you’re stuck. [16:27]
- The final step: Your roadmap. [19:15]
- How do I sell just a piece of my course as a standalone? [24:04]